In preparing for a pastoral move, here are some things it will be important to have in order, or available for your successor:
Membership and Other Records:
- Membership roll current and up-to-date
- An up to date church directory
- Changes to roll since last Charge Conference
- Records of baptisms and marriages
- List of those with serious illness, list of recent deaths
- Scheduled weddings requiring premarital counseling
- List of members away at college and military, with needed information on each
- Directions to homes of homebound
- Any special instructions for receiving entrance as pastor to hospitals/care facilities
Personnel and Policies:
- Information about those employed by the church
- Current list of all those in service (updated Nominations report from last Charge Conference)
- Those available for pulpit supply
- All policies – child safety, building use, weddings, etc.
- Ongoing relationships with outside user groups
- Leave your set of keys well identified (church and parsonage)
- Warranties and instructional manuals for appliances, etc. at parsonage.
- Information on any pending legal matters
- Schedule for annual traditional events
- Leave your new address in church and parsonage for mail which needs to be forwarded to you.
- Give your new address and information to the District Support Center (or District Administrative Assistant), as well as the Conference Office.
Created by Gail F Grossman. May be reproduced in small quantities for local church use only, without further permission.
Image Credit: Some rights reserved by walkinguphills